Behavioral Support Specialist
Hours: Full-time 35 hours per week
- Master’s Degree in Special Education, Psychology, Social Work, or related field and at least three years of experience working with children with disabilities or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience conducting functional behavioral assessments and training in the area of behavior support or behavioral interventions.
- Experience developing and implementing behavioral support plans.
- Attention to detail and organization skills are essential.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to plan and prioritize work tasks and schedule.
- Ability to effectively interact and work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in both a team and individual setting.
- Strong belief in and commitment to integration of people with disabilities in all areas of community life.
- Extensive travel within a three county service area (Broome, Chenango, Tioga).
- Work a flexible schedule that includes early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Evaluate existing skills and behaviors of children and adults with various disabilities.
- Conduct functional behavioral assessments across a variety of community settings (including home and school) using a person-centered approach.
- Develop written positive behavioral support programs that the family and support staff can implement, which will increase the consumer’s independence, integration/inclusion in schools and/or the community.
- Train family members and other support staff to implement written programs.
- Evaluate and monitor progress on programs and modify as needed.
- Meet with consumers/families as needed to discuss progress, concerns, and future goals.
- Act as a resource for Care Managers and other professionals to increase the support they provide to families.
- Maintain required documentation of services, collect statistical and other data, prepare reports and submit in a timely manner.
- Attend all mandatory agency trainings, meetings, sign language class and advocacy groups.
- Other job-related tasks as needed and time permits.
Southern Tier Independence Center, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to hire the best qualified applicant for the position, without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or pregnancy-related conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, prior arrest or conviction record, military status or predisposing genetic characteristics.
Interested applicants should send a current resume indicating the position for which they are applying to:
Casey Flanagan, Human Resources Coordinator
135 East Frederick Street
Binghamton, NY 13904
Phone : (607) 724-2111
Fax: (607) 772-3605