Choose your services! Choose your staff! Choose your own life! Choose your Independence!
Self–Direction services empower people with developmental disabilities and their families to design and manage services based on their individual needs and goals.
Self- Direction supports individual choice and community inclusion because the Self- Directed plan is created by the participant (person with IDD) and those the participant chooses to be part of their team.
STIC is a Fiscal Intermediary (FI) for OPWDD Self-Direction services. With help from an FI like STIC, participants control their own individualized budgets, and may choose to hire and manage their own staff.
Self- Direction plans and budgets allow participants access the supports necessary to:
- live at home or in a home of their own, and if they choose, with a roommate,
- pursue meaningful employment, volunteer, or other community activities, and
- engage in satisfying relationships with family and friends, and their communities.
FIs perform tasks that support a participant who self directs their own budget. These include:
- conducting an initial review of the budgets/budget amendments,
- acting as the employer of record for a participant’s “self-hired staff” including payment of wages and administration of benefits,
- billing and payment for approved budget items,
- tracking expenditures and required reporting,
- Medicaid and corporate compliance, and
- other general administrative supports.
The following are required to be eligible for Self-Directions services:
- Medicaid Eligibility
- OPWDD Eligibility and be enrolled in the Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Services Waiver
To learn more about Self-Direction, talk to your Care Manager and Regional Self-Direction Liaison.
You can get more information and ﬁnd your Self-Direction Liaison on OPWDD’s Self-Direction website at www.opwdd.ny.gov/selfdirection.
Link to OPWDD’s Family Friendly Guide to Self-Direction
We serve all of Broome, Tioga and Chenango Counties. We will also consider Lower Tompkins and Cortland Counties as well as Western Delaware. Give us a call to discuss your area of service.
Other Relevant Information
STIC’S mission is to shape a world in which People with disabilities are empowered to live fully integrated lives in their communities. This means at STIC we keep the FI program personable. STIC is an active part of the Self-Direction TEAM!
Phone: 607-724-2111 x 386