Hours: Non-exempt, part-time 10 hours per week
Peer will contact consumers referred to them to provide information about transitioning to the community, and will provide referrals back to NYAIL who will provide information to the Transition Center for follow up.
- Ability to actively listen and to share personal reflections about your own experience, when appropriate;
- Knowledge of community resources that facilitate transition from institutional to community living;
- Personal experience with a disability;
- Positive attitude;
- Good verbal and written skills, ability to complete required paperwork in established timeframes;
- Successful completion of the mandatory NYAIL peer training, and a passing grade on the post-test exam;
- Demonstrated receipt of vaccination given for the current influenza season by a doctor’s note or written agreement to wear a facemask before entering any institution.
- Preference will be given to candidates with personal lived experience residing in and transitioning out of a long term care facility.
- Accept referrals from NYAIL;
- Contact the consumer to arrange a face-to-face meeting within ten business days of receiving the referral;
- During the face-to-face meeting, provide information about options for transitioning into the community, share personal experiences as appropriate, provide support, answer questions and concerns, and develop a plan for follow up;
- Provide follow up information to NYAIL on what happened at the visit, and next steps for the consumer;
- If consumer agrees to a referral to the Transition Center, complete referral information within two business days of face-to-face visit and transmit to NYAIL;
- Maintain relationships with discharge planners, ombudspersons, social workers, administrators, nurses and other professionals at local facilities to encourage referrals;
- Identify and provide information to NYAIL on barriers that impede transition from institutions to community living and suggest next steps in resolving them.
Southern Tier Independence Center, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to hire the best qualified applicant for the position, without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, marital status, gender, religion, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic disposition or carrier status.
Interested applicants should send a current resume indicating the position for which they are applying to:
Casey Flanagan, Human Resources Coordinator
135 East Frederick Street
Binghamton, NY 13904
Phone : (607) 724-2111
Fax: (607) 772-3605