What is the navigator program?
As part of the Affordable Care Act, which was signed into law in 2010, navigator services are offered in the State of New York to assist individuals, families, and small businesses in applying for health insurance. New York has awarded grants to not-for-profit agencies throughout the state, including STIC, to provide navigator services to NYS residents seeking to enroll in a New York State Marketplace health plan.
What can a navigator do to help?
Navigators meet face to face with individuals, families and businesses who wish to enroll in health insurance plans through the New York State Marketplace. Advantages and services provided by navigators include:
- Assist with health plan enrollment through the New York State of Health (NYSOH) web portal.
- Provide guidance in inputting required information into the web portal.
- Assist with scanning and uploading any verification documents requested by the marketplace.
- Help with interpreting the health care options available in order for an individual to make a health place choice that will meet their needs as well as the needs of family members.
- Assist small businesses in providing health plan options to their employees and explain what tax credits an employer may be eligible for in doing so.
Which counties does STIC provide navigation services for?
STIC provides navigator services for a four county region in the Southern Tier of New York State including:
How do I reach a navigator to schedule an appointment for assistance?
- Contact the STIC navigator line at 1-855-4-STIC-NAV (1-855-478-4262)
It is best to call and schedule an appointment with a navigator as soon as you know that you would like to have navigator assistance. Navigators can be booked far into the future during peak enrollment times. We will make every effort to accommodate your scheduling needs.
Are navigator services accessible?
Yes! Navigators are ready and able to assist individuals in overcoming barriers that may be preventing them from enrollment. Barriers such as mobility, sensory impairment, or language translation and interpreting can all be overcome with navigator assistance. Please contact a navigator in advance if such circumstance exists and we will work to support your needs and overcome barriers throughout the enrollment process.
Are there other agencies that have navigators?
Absolutely! Depending on what county you live in there are other agencies that can help you. Take a look at the list below and see who may be able to help you in your county.
- Allegany County Corning AIM: 1-888-962-8244
- Chemung County Corning AIM: 1-888-962-8244
- Schoharie County CCFI: 607-432-8000
- Steuben County Corning AIM: 1-888-962-8244
- Schuyler County Corning AIM: 1-888-962-8244
Additionally, you can find navigators providing services in other areas on the New York State of Health website by clicking http://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/IPANavigatorSiteLocations
Information and Education Sessions
If you would like to have a STIC navigator present to your group or to facilitate an information session, please contact the Navigation Contract Coordinator, Chad Eldred via telephone at (607) 724-2111 ext.352 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where can I learn more about the New York State Health Benefits Marketplace and the Affordable Care Act?
• New York State of Health: The Official Health Plan Marketplace of New York State: https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/
• Information about the federal law: http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights/